Friday, February 5, 2010

A Not So Fabulous Friday

It was a significantly less than fabulous Friday at the Lutheran School today.
The boys in the morning small group "enrichment" session were monsters and cared very little for learning about Moses in the basket, but when I turned the page of the children's Bible to a picture of some shirtless Egyptian soldiers, this sent them into peals of uncontrollable laughter, and they all started pulling up their shirts to show off their own belly buttons.  I was not particularly amused by that today.

The sixth grade girls were supposed to be practicing rote answers to questions on their upcoming "English interviews" for entrance into secondary school, and they were not the least interested in the difference between "I am playing badmitten" and I play badmitten".  Then they started taunting the one girl whose English is a little more hesitant than the rest.  This girl is very shy, and small, and walks with a limp, and I was kind of shocked with myself for just wanting to slap them. I didn't, you'll be happy to know, but I wanted to.

And then, for the grand finale of the day,  less than half way through the second graders' phonics review session, one very quiet little girl very quietly vomited all over the table and floor.   It's true, we were practicing blending the letters  U-u-u-u-u-u- and P-p-p-p-p-p.  But I meant "arms UP" and "stand UP" not "throw UP".


Total chaos insued, we had to move the class next door, but since there was no computer projector set up, nor a CD player for my carefully planned lesson with music, we had to resort to finishing the class with... you guessed it, yet another round of "Ten Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed."  A cappella.

It was, once again,  a big hit.  We wished each other a "Happy Lunar New Year" (no school next Friday!) and I think everyone is really looking forward to the week we all get off  for the upcoming Year of the Tiger.

I hope I will have more energy next year.

"You then, my child, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus;"  Paul, cheering on Timothy in his work of teaching & pastoring,  Second Letter to Timothy, chapter two verse one

No comments:

Post a Comment