Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Lunar New Year of the Tiger

Happy Lunar New Year of the Tiger!   Happy Valentine's Day!  Happy Transfiguration Sunday!  Happy Birthday to my 86 year old Mutti back home in Wisconsin.  

On Monday I went to the flower market, battled the incredible crowds, and scored some daffodil bulbs, pussy willows, and three pieces of lucky bamboo. Here are some of the scenes of the day: 
 
On Wednesday  I handed out "lai see" packets to the 16 Hong Kong, Laotian, Cambodian, Mainland Chinese, Scottish, Myanmar and Cameroonian students in my Pastoral Formation 100 class up at the seminary.  Were they really so delighted because of the little packets (filled with chocolate coins and a suitable New Year's Bible verse) or because it meant that my looooong lecture was somewhat shortened that day?

On Friday we were invited to the home of one of our Hong Kong students, where we feasted on roast pig (yes, the whole thing, ears and all appeared on the table), oysters, mushrooms, Chinese greens, and (a first for me) pickled quail eggs.  It was magnificent.

Today, Sunday, I preached on the Transfiguration of Jesus, his shining face revealing mysteries beyond mysteries, and God's voice once again, saying, "Listen to Him!"



And so we do, this New Year of the Tiger, marking our second lunar New Year on Chinese soil.  Wayne and I are trying to listen to Jesus, and find his voice speaking  in fresh ways everyday.

 Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
 I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion;  therefore I will wait for him."
 The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him,  to the one who seeks him; -- Lamentations 3:21f

Happy Valentine's Day!  Happy Lunar year of the Tiger!  Happy Transfiguration Sunday! And Happy Birthday Mutti, back in the good old USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment