Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Liturgical Colour of Lent is NOT "Drab"

After teaching my 8 a.m. class this morning, this is the scene that greeted me as I walked down the 121 steps from the Lutheran Theological Seminary of Hong Kong.  It seems too beautiful for Lent, but maybe the Lord of Creation doesn't consider "drab" an appropriate liturgical color.

I think Jesus noted the vibrancy of the road as he walked in & out of Jerusalem, and finally to His appointment with the cross.   The quick movements of the children at play,   the piercing cry of the one  wailing over a death in the family, the bright red of the blood of the temple sacrifice, the splash of water in a woman's pail.

All these are part of the sights, sounds, and smells along the road; and everywhere there is beauty -  this broken beauty which He came to redeem.

Why 121 steps? For the 121st Psalm:

I lift up my eyes unto the hills... 
Where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD,
the Maker of heaven and earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment