Sunday, September 27, 2009

Wayne's World - Teaching at LTS

From Wayne's World:

The Fall semester has begun and I continue to immensely enjoy teaching at LTS (Lutheran Theological Seminary) of Hong Kong!   This semester I’m teaching a course on youth counseling and a basic introduction to counseling....courses that I’ve never really taught before and have to really prepare to make sure I, at least, know what I’m talking about!  I’m continually amazed by the students, their stories and histories and the importance of their work not only here in Hong Kong, but throughout all of Southeast Asia.  I am honored to be a part of this kingdom of God movement!

Yesterday, I was in a weekly meeting with one of my students from a certain Asian country and he was describing to me the incredibly difficulties of his community… when he showed me a website of a group whose mission is "to bring help, hope and love to people in war zones..."

As we were exploring the site, something caught his eye…..he saw a notice that his good friend, a young man working with this group had just recently died because of a sudden fever.   This was a terrible shock…and my student just broke down and wept. This friend had guided my student through the land-mine laden countryside as he went to minister to churches and their leaders in this region.   

My student wants to return to his home country… after learning how to best care for and counsel those who live in fear of terror each day.   Again, it’s an incredible honor to be here.

"Share with the Lord's people who are in need.Practice hospitality.   
Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 
Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn."
                                 -- Paul in Romans 12:12-15

No comments:

Post a Comment