Friday, August 28, 2009

New Doorways


I promise to take pictures next time I go, but meanwhile, let this photo (of Wayne in our neighborhood of Tai Wai) represent the new opening in my life here in Hong Kong.

This week I went twice to "my" new school -- the Ma On Shan Lutheran Primary School... once to meet the teachers, the second time to meet parents.

I found out that a significant percentage of the kids are from the Mainland of China and make the hour or so commute every morning by bus.

I will be going once a week (at first) to teach English studies and the Christian faith to six and seven year olds who may or may not have ever heard anything about Jesus before... and who may or may not know any English. This is not an ideal situation of course... I don't want them to associate Christianity with a nasty experience of English phonics and grammar... on the other hand, it's too good of an opportunity to pass up, and this is something which the local Evangelical Lutheran Church of Hong Kong has asked me to do. The schoolkids and their parents really want to study English, and this is a skill I can teach! So in addition to "A" is for apple and ant... our first lesson might include.... and God is the Creator of all things: alligators, asteroids, and Australia, too :)

Anyone know of a great version of the old hymn, "All Creatures of Our God and King, suitable for 6 & 7 year olds, which you'd care to recommend?

By the way, I did "M" is for monkeys, music, and Mozart with my 2 year olds at my "Hoppy Palace" English Phonics Centre job this week. You should have seen those two year old's playing "pretend pianos" to the Piano Sonata in C Major. Not the whole thing of course, but I'm not kidding these little Chinese kids quieted down and paid attention with their whole beings, as if there was a direct connection between the musical chords and their brain wiring. I was in awe. I must admit, they enjoyed jumping to that obnoxious "Three Monkeys Jumping on the Bed" song too.


"All Creatures of our God and King,
Lift up your voice with us and sing:
Alleluia! Alleluia!

O burning sun with golden beam
And silver moon with softer gleam:
O praise him! Oh praise him! Oh praise him!"


(hymn text: Francis of Assisi 1182-1226)

No comments:

Post a Comment