Thursday, June 9, 2011

Arrival in Wisconsin... via 5 extra hours in Tokyo and an overnight in Detroit


Wayne and I and our youngest son just got back into the U.S.A. and the beautiful state of Wisconsin yesterday!!!  We had only a few challenges along the way, such as an extra five hours in the Tokyo airport (where I had lots of time to admire the 6-options for recycling rubbish bins).  Since this meant we missed our flight from Detroit to Green Bay, the airlines assured us that we had been re-booked on the later (and final) flight to Green Bay.  So after 4.5 hours from HK to Tokyo, 5 hours IN Tokyo, 11.5 hours Tokyo to Detroit, then sitting around another 3 hours in the Detroit airport, we got ready (zombie like by this time) to board only to find out that one of our tickets (mine!) had been issued as a standby, NOT a booked flight.  My husband (a.k.a. "Saint Wayne") gave me his seat and then when the airlines realized (too late) that it was actually THEIR mistake, he got an all-expense paid stay at a Detroit motel with broken air-conditioner (it was 90 degree temps in Detroit, but coming from Hong Kong this didn't faze him too badly).  Ha!

Today we're all back safe and sound!

Here's our little house in the Wisconsin woods, waiting for us.  We had had great renters... the checks came every month and our home was sparkling clean when we re-entered it.  However, you can see they didn't care too much about gardening... the pots had been filled with cheery chrysanthemums when we left the house last summer. Well everyone has their own things they get excited about.  Me, I was thrilled that the lilies of the valley were still blooming... their scent is heavenly.


The kid was happy to get an Al Johnson's Swedish Pancake House breakfast this morning, complete with hot chocolate and whipped cream.  And his  87 year old Omi was happy to see her youngest grandchild back again.


 Meanwhile, as soon as we're over our jet lag, Wayne and I are looking forward to our upcoming trips to area churches to tell about our work with the Lutheran Theological Seminary of Hong Kong and the amazing and sometimes exotic stories of the churches in Hong Kong, Mainland China, and Mekong River area churches including Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam.




3 Because your love is better than life,
   my lips will glorify you.
4 I will praise you as long as I live,
   and in your name I will lift up my hands.
5 I will be fully satisfied as with the richest of foods;
   with singing lips my mouth will praise you.
-- Psalm 63

No comments:

Post a Comment