Monday, July 12, 2010

More Contrasts: Hong Kong & Wisconsin

I love my life in Hong Kong, China when I'm in Hong Kong but now that I'm in Wisconsin for 2 months,  I'm remembering what I love, love, love about the Midwest of the USA.

Here are a few more contrasts:

CHURCH IN HONG KONG, CHINA -

The (Anglican) Cathedral of St. John with gorgeous music and liturgy (built in 1847) (photo from  www.victorianweb.org)







compared with...












CHURCH IN WISCONSIN, USA--
The Roman Catholic Holy Hill Basilica near Erin, Wisconsin, with incredible scenery and a full set of outdoor stations of the cross.
(first shrine built in 1863, present building completed in 1931) (photo taken last week by yours truly)

 









And here's a contrast of two night scenes:

ON THE ROAD AT NIGHTFALL IN HONG KONG, CHINA
(Mong Kok area - cell phone photo by Eric Nieminen)









compared with













ON THE ROAD AT NIGHTFALL IN WISCONSIN, USA
(entering Door County)










I love life in the East and in the West.










Do not be afraid, for I am with you;
       I will bring your children from the east
       and gather you from the west. 


                                -- The Prophet Isaiah 43:5

2 comments:

  1. What wonderful memories you are forging!! I have this sinking feeling that we are not going to get to see you....and I know how hard it is to fit in everyone who wants to be with you. I wish you and Wayne all the best as you continue on your journey here and then back to Hong Kong.
    Big hugs
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Maureen! Why don't you sneak into our Kenosha event and "accompany" your husband for a day or two haha.

    ReplyDelete