Monday, November 23, 2009

Body Slapping Dance

My friend Yoko invited our family to a Japanese/ Soka Gakkai Buddhist cultural event here in Hong Kong and it was fabulous!

Little did I know that my quiet, shy, tiny, very decorous friend had been the lead drummer in her high school band, and man did she belt it out during the "Body Slapping Dance" part of the afternoon festivities.






The whole afternoon was an incredible mixture of traditional Japanese, folk Japanese, and modern Japanese culture, all in a Chinese/Cantonese setting.



Wayne & Eric came along... Eric very reluctantly as he was afraid there was going to be audience participation required.  Can't say I blame him for being nervous about that idea!  The flyers for the event were written mostly in Chinese so  we had little idea of what was going to happen.


It was great, though, and even Eric seemed to enjoy the afternoon's events. (I say seemed to because for a 16 year old the fact that he didn't ask to leave during the program, but waited to the end before quickly slipping off for home means a great deal).

As for me, all I can say is that it was wonderful, and I am in awe of what a big world this is and how much I still have to learn.

Praise the LORD, all you nations;        extol him, all you peoples.      For great is his love toward us,        and the faithfulness of the LORD endures forever.

       Praise the LORD.   -- Psalm 117

No comments:

Post a Comment